Dick Willy

Dick Willy

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Aug 4

Yesterday was a long, tough day.  101 miles and 6,900' of climbing.  Fortunately, it was overcast with showers, so the temperatures stayed in the mid-70s.  Noel, James Lynn & I rode together.  Took us 12 hours, with around 3 hours for rest & food stops.

Today we have a rest day in Gettysburg.  My roommate Stan Howell & I took a bus tour of the battlefield -- always a moving experience, and I always learn something new.


My dorm "roomie", Stan Howell -- from Chimacum, WA, west side of Puget Sound.


Only 100 miles to go to Washington, DC.  Tomorrow is 60 miles to Clarksburg, MD.  Then, 40 miles on Sat. to DC and all the finish line festivities.

It's hard to believe we're almost done.  My body says "thank God", but I'll miss the other Big Riders & staff, some of whom I may never see again.  Nevertheless, we'll be forever bound by a shared experience few will ever know or understand.

I will appreciate waking in the morning at a civilized  hour (not 5:15), with dry bedding and no wet (from dew) tent to pack away.  I'll enjoy a few days off the bike.

Seeing Mary, Kate, Spence, Jacob & Tom on the Mall will be special.  We plan to tour DC until Friday, then visit Antietam National Battlefield.  From there, Mary & I head north to Maine for a few days with Gilbroughs.  Then home to Seattle from Boston on the 20th.

No comments:

Post a Comment