Dick Willy

Dick Willy

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Last night at home for two months

I've got my bags packed (stuffed) nearly to the weight limit, and my bike's tuned & ready to roll.  Tomorrow Noel & I -- and any other Big Riders who might come -- will attend the 10:30 mass at Trinity Episcopal Church.  Fr. Paul Collins will bless us on our way, and bless our bikes, too.

After coffee hour and some lunch, Mary will deliver me to the Emerson Dorms at Seattle Pacific University for the 2 PM orientation meeting, where we'll meet the other riders, most for the first time.  Following orientation we'll have dinner at the dorm with spouses & other family members.

Then, it's early lights out.  Well -- there may be a beer at the Nickerson, first.

On Monday it's an early wakeup, eat breakfast, load the bags, take group photos, say goodbyes -- and start riding at 0730.  The first leg follows the Burke-Gilman Trail around the north end of Lake Washington and south to Marymoor State Park.  From there we follow SR-202 over the Sammamish Plateau, continuing east to Fall City, Snoqualmie, and North Bend.

From North Bend we hop onto I-90 for a few miles to Denny Creek, then onto the old highway up to Snoqualmie Pass.  Noel, Daria & I rode this section, 71 miles, a week ago Friday.  It was easier than we expected, although the traffic noise along I-90 is "annoying".  I'm wearing an  ear plug in my left ear on Monday.

From Hyak, 2 miles east of the Summit, we'll be ferried around the highway construction along Lake Keechelus -- 10 miles.  Then, it's back on the bikes for the 10 mile downhill run to Lake Easton State Park, our first campsite.

Monday's dinner will be prepared by local alums of the Big Ride, a great tradition of the Big Ride.  Which reminds me, one of our local Riders, Kate Montana, is the daughter of a Rider from '88.

Well, I'll be signing off for now.  Hopefully, my electronic gizmos will let me keep the blog up to date in a reasonably timely fashion.  Wish us well -- add a prayer, if that's in your tradition.

4 comments:

  1. Go Dick Go! Whoooo hooooo! :)

    We're all with you, buddy: hang on through the thick and thin. I hope to follow in your footsteps someday. I bet it'll be a fanatastic adventure!

    Cheers,
    Chris Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a very, very safe trip Dick!!! I wish I had the training to be there with you. What a way to see the country!

    Ken Kravetz
    HP - Westlake, Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May the wind be always at your back, unless it gets too hot on the trail then a little breeze might be nice, eh? I will be looking forward to hearing tall tales over a beer when you return. Be safe my friend...and have FUN!!!!

    Erik Hagstrom

    ReplyDelete